Today is National Popcorn Day! Visit Pop Around the Clock or Charlies Caramel Corn and Candy Shop and celebrate with some of their specialty popcorn.
The Knox County Public Library and the Grouseland Foundation will host a Mardi Gras event on Saturday February 6th. Music, dancing and food. Tickets are $15 each and are available at the VTB office, Library and Grouseland during normal business hours. For more information call Grouseland at 812.882.2096.
Celebrate at the 8th “Annual Watermelon Drop” held in downtown Vincennes! The evening begins with a nighttime air show. Be ready to dance in the streets to the music of Hot Rod Lincoln at 6:00pm. Chef Poon will be with us to demonstrate his fantastic watermelon carved creations, children are invited to watch movies in a heated movie tent, and food and novelty vendors will be on site. At the stroke of midnight the 18-foot, 500-pound watermelon will rise in the sky and drop sixteen watermelons while fireworks simultaneously mark the year 2016. As the first Indiana Bicentennial sanctioned event, there will be a ceremonial firing of a replica of the Official Rifle of the State of Indiana created by Sheriff John Small.
Vincennes and Knox County are well-known for the multi-million dollar melon crops produced and shipped throughout the United States. For more information visit http://www.vincennescvb.org/events/2015/12/31
The Indiana Foodways Alliance’s popular Hoosier Pie Trail has been nominated as part of USA Today’s 10 Best Readers’ Choice Travel Award Contest. Please help the Hoosier Pie Trail grab the #1 title by voting for and spreading the word! Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Are you looking for ideas for entertainment over the holidays? If so check out this “Bucket List” we have put together.
Stroll down Main Street to see the GIANT Christmas tree at Gimbel Corner
Visit the downtown merchants for your last minute gifts.
Cozy up and get warm with a good book in the warmth of the Knox Co. Public Library’s sunroom
Savor a hot coffee drink at I’mpressed coffee
Make a difference and lend a hand at the local charity of your choice.
Drive through Ouabache Trails Park to see the park lit up with the annual community light display.
Take a tour of Grouseland and see it decorated for Christmas as it would have been when the Harrison lived there.
Take a brisk walk through Gregg Park to view the Christmas lamp post decorating contest entries.
Get a good laugh by visiting the Red Skelton Museum of American Comedy.
Ring in the New Year at the 7th Annual Watermelon Drop!
This weekend is full of opportunities for adult fun. The Germanfest kicks off Friday evening at 6pm and runs until 1am. Enjoy traditional German food and music on Saturday evening as with the same hours. Individuals must be 21 years of age to attend. Saturday morning the Farmer’s Market will open at 8am and offer all of your in season Knox County favorites, artisan breads and more. Saturday evening and Sunday the Hooiser Cruiser will be in town with their classic cars. Sunday morning at Gregg Park the car show will begin at 9am and run until 2pm. For more information visit http://www.vincennescvb.org/events/2014/08/09/#hoosier-cruisers-cruise-car-show-gregg-park-vincennes
With four weeks left before school starts search our Knox County Summer “Bucket List” for ideas for activities for adults and children to enjoy.
- Splash around at the new Rainbow Beach Aquatic Center set to open July 19.
- Enjoy an outdoor movie at the Fresh-Air Flicks.
- Visit Riverwalk antiques to find your next treasure.
- Check out the authentic WWI Army trench at the Indiana Military Museum and relive the life of a soldier.
- Watch the sunset over the Wabash River from the steps of the George Rogers Clark Memorial.
- Laugh at the Red Skelton Museum after Phase 2 is unveiled.
- Shop Wednesday Evening’s Farmers Market for fresh local produce & “Bobe-BQ”.
- Treat your creative self and attend the First Friday Art Walk each month.
- Pack your picnic basket and dine al fresco at Historic Fort Knox II.
- Hike the trails at Ouabache Trails Park.
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at a local “Farm to Fork” Restaurant, Prairie Acres.
- Unwind at Windy Knoll Winery with a wine slushie.
- Cool off with an iced coffee at I’Mpressed Coffee.
- Beat the heat with a guided tour of our William Henry Harrison’s Presidential Mansion, Grouseland.
- Visit vincennescvb.org for more local information and events.
It’s National Ag Week…this is a time to recognize the contribution of agriculture in our everyday lives. The National Ag Day program encourages everyone to: Understand how their food products are produced, value the essential role of agriculture in maintaining a strong economy and appreciate the role agriculture plays in providing safe, abundant and affordable products.
Melon Acres of Oaktown is offering locals a chance to take part in their farm share program. For a fee the program provides families with a basket of fresh locally grown produce weekly. For more information on the program email email@example.com